Beet soup…how else can you get manganese, magnesium, iron and oomph in one little bowl? This stuff’s ammmmmaaaaazzzzzziiiiinnnngggg……..
This recipe is by request, a favorite from my restaurant, Imagine.
Beet soup is one of the most satisfying of Autumn recipes, celebrating the season of root vegetables and soups for dinner. Serve with crusty sour dough bread and top with sour cream, add a salad for a wonderfully light yet satisfying meal. This soup freezes well and keeps for several days, so feel free to double (or triple, or quadruple!) the recipe.
- 1-1/4 pounds beets
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cups coarsely chopped yellow onion
- 3/4 pounds carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 large garlic clove, minced (1 teaspoon)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Also add to soup at the very end:
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice,
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar,
- 1 Tablespoon cup sugar
- Sour cream for garnish (optional, but really yummy)
- Parsley or celery leaf, for garnish (optional, but pretty)
1. With gloved hands (beets will stain skin!), peel the beets with a vegetable peeler. With a chef’s knife, cut the beets in half, then lay them flat side down and cut them into large chunks.
2. In a stock pot over medium heat:
- Heat the oil.
- Saute the onion until it is translucent.
- Add the carrots, ginger, and garlic.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently
3. Next add beets and liquid…
- Add beets and water or stock.
- Simmer the soup, covered, for 50 minutes.
- Add orange rind, and stir well.
4. In a food processor or blender: puree the soup in batches. (Cool to room temperature first!!!)
Adjust seasonings if needed, depending on sweetness of beets.
If you think you really hate beets you just haven’t tried this soup. It’s that good.
Transfer the pureed soup to a serving container, and stir in the salt and pepper.
Serve the soup hot or chilled, garnished with dollops of sour cream.
Serves 4 guests (or one Lisa over the course of about 24 hours…)
This soup freezes really well!
Note: Yes, you can double, triple, or quadruple this recipe!
- The secret ingredient in new icy road melt treatment(kcci.com)
- Lithuanian Cold Beet Soup(foodelite.wordpress.com)
- 6 Powerful Health Benefits Offered by Beets(naturalsociety.com)